Thursday, May 12, 2011

Magazine of the Year



The National Magazine Awards gave the most prestigious and sought-after award of the night to National Geographic, recognizing the literature as "Magazine of the Year".  So what does this mean for media?


Well, as magazine of the year, National Geographic has a large circulation and readership base.  Upon researching the magazine I found that monthly circulation reaches about 8.5 million people.  National Geographic prints in 28 different languages and 1 of 4 readers of the magazine are located outside of the United States.  Each edition of the magazine captures a different natural phenomenon intriguing to anyone that picks up the latest copy.  The magazine has high potential for media buyers working with international clientele.  However, media people need to keep in mind who is reading the magazine.  


As a subscriber to the magazine myself, none of this information surprises me.  As a photographer myself, I enjoy this magazine solely for the amazing photographs within the pages.  I have been receiving the magazine for years now and have yet to read through an article completely.  The only advertisements I pay attention to in National Geographic are for new cameras or photography equipment.


I am only one person of the millions of readers of National Geographic.  But I think extensive research would have to be done before a company would seriously consider advertising with the magazine.


Check out this article to see the other magazine winners!
http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/national-geographic-named-magazine-year/227459/

No comments:

Post a Comment